Bring Bennet Home

Monday, August 16, 2010

Purcell, America

Purcell has always been home to me. Even though I haven't lived there in ten years when I say home I'm usually referring to my hometown. Probably because my entire family is there, my heart is there. Both parents. Grandparents. Sisters. Niece. Everyone, but my family of three lives within a few miles of each other.
Our long term plan has always been to end up in Purcell. Someday. Down the road. But since Tucker has joined our family I find myself longing for us to be there sooner rather then later. All of that would be fine and a non-issue really if my husband was in any other field besides ministry. We don't just move to where we want to live, we have to be called. And right now we are most definitely called to Sayre.
We have an amazing church. One like I've never been involved with before. A pastor who not only loves us but defends, encourages, and values both Chris' ministry and mine, as well as, has the same ministry viewpoint as we do. We have a group of students that is special and passionate and really when we talk about the future we say, "we can't leave until after _______ graduates." That says something. Planning our life and ministry around students who are such a part of our lives we can't bear the thought of leaving. We have NEVER had anything remotely close to the church family we have been blessed with in Sayre. Our church LOVES my husband. They support him. They value his role. They are proud of him in a way that only people who have watched a person grow from a child into adulthood can be proud of someone.
They have welcomed Tucker into our church family with open arms! He has more grandma's than anyone can count. He is dotted on constantly. We weren't sure how everyone would feel about our adoption and the fact that our baby isn't white like the other 98% of our congregation. But they love him almost as much as we do. They have played a huge role in Tucker's life before we even knew we would have Tucker. They were so faithful to pray for us and over throughout our journey of infertility and adoption.
I have a place in our church. A vital role and ministry. They love that Chris and I do ministry together and that is not the case with every church.
But even with all those great things I still I wish my sisters were just around the corner and my mom and Nana were down the street. Weeks go by where everyday I wake up and go to sleep wishing we were closer. The two and a half hour drive (especially with a four month old who isn't too fond of his car seat) just isn't feasible as a day trip to hang out or shop or go swimming. Sometimes all the church family in the world still can't compare to having your actual family close by.
I don't know how long we will be here. I don't know if we will ever actually live in Purcell. But I really hope we do. It's funny that I get more homesick as an adult then I ever did as a kid. Someday. Maybe.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mac,
We truly do love you guys, all three of you. This is a hard ministry. Teens, the hormones, the parents, the drama, etc. It all plays a role in your every moment. I understand the need to have your family close and wish we could just move them all up here to be closer to you so that you would be able to be with them more. But, alas, since we can't I think most of us just want to try to offer some of the same comforts you get from your family. I am proud of the young man Chris has become and love watching him grow into his role of husband and father. Know that you are lifted in prayer and we're here if you need us.
Susan (Nana)

Cassie Hays said...

well i am just real sad after reading that. u know what i would do, but i am never as patient as God wants. i know the very necessity that family plays in raising our precious kids, lets face it, Em and tucker would not be so great with out each influence we all play. i really want you home, but i know that with all that growth and wisdom God will tell u when and where. we love each of you greatly. and know that no matter where you put your head at night, u will always be my very favorite older sister.

Cassie Hays said...

This is Chelsie. Cassie just made me come in here and read this and now I am real sad as well. You know that I have never been one to want to be away from. Shoot I go back to school in less than a week, and I am dreading not being here. Even as much as I love Stillwater and OSU there is just no other place like Purcell. I hate missing out on big parts of tuckers life. I wish he was closer to me everyday, but if all my babies were here I do not know that I could ever leave. Emrie wanted to take her baby to the mall today, and so when she said that I decided to get Mckenzie Beth down so that she could take her. She said her name is like mac's. This just shows how much I have always looked up to you. I thank you for showing me that it is possible to leave the nest, and if it was not for you I probably would not have made it through those few months of college. Just now that no matter how far apart we are we have something that always holds us together. Whether its looking up at the moon or giving it a little ahahahaha when one is lost. We are always here for each other. I do hope everyday that we all end up back here together, but we all have to trust that God will put us in the place we need to be. I love you more.....