Bring Bennet Home

Thursday, September 16, 2010

For a reason

We have been on vacation in Eureka Springs with Chris's family this week, and while it hasn't been the smoothest week of my life, it has brought with it some fun memories from a summer I spent in Arkansas when I was in college. The summer between my sophomore and junior years at OBU I interned at Parkway Place Baptist Church in Little Rock. It was great experience overall, but it was hard. Mostly because I had never been that far from home for that long, but it was definitely a stepping stone as I began to spread my wings.
That summer we took an overnight trip to Eureka and it's been fun walking around and remembering.
While I was in Little Rock God provided a surrogate family, especially a Momma, for me. The Greer's. The pastor of the church had two students in the youth group and his wife was very active. I immediately feel in love with their family, especially both of the Greer Girls!
I spent lots of time with Megan, who I think was about to be an 8th grader and is now a junior in college. (Are you kidding me?) We went to the movies, out to eat and shopping a lot throughout the summer. And I spent plenty of time at their house, as well. She was so much fun and it was such a blessing to be able to love on her for three months.
Nancy, my Arkansas Mom, just loved on me every chance she got. I think somedays her support was the only reason I stayed around all summer. She showed me such a beautiful picture of hospitality, love and discipleship. We talked a lot about what it was like to be married to someone in the ministry (in 2003, three years before I'd marry right into a similar position) I remember her telling me the importance of being supportive and making our house an inviting place for my husband to come home to. She shared with me hard stories of struggle inside of church work and how tough it is when people aren't nice to the man you love. Sweet Nancy taught me so much that summer! She was so fun and such a hoot! She taught me to sew, took me on fun errands just to get me out of the church and we even shared a canoe on a river trip and laughed so hard we both wet our pants a little! Haha.
I hope someday I can be that kind of encouragement to a younger sister who so badly wants to follow the path that God has for her. It was such a pivotal time in my life and Nancy was such a blessing to me at the perfect time.
I made lots of good memories that summer in Arkansas but I think I learned even more.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Sounds like she was a good mentor for you. Glad you can look back and see God's provision there.