Bring Bennet Home

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Just the Hem

One of the things I want to remember...
I think all babies develop little comforts that help them fall asleep, calm down or just give them a little reassurance. My sweet fella is no exception. But his "thing" is a little different then most. He doesn't have a special blanket, lovie or stuffed animal that he migrates to. He hasn't used a pacifier since he was four  month old. And he isn't uber attached to a sippy cup. (shout out to Cousin Emrie!) As a child, mine was playing with my hair. I still catch myself doing this if I can't fall asleep, deeply focusing or if I'm worrying about something. It's funny how those things stick with us from the very beginning. Tucker's comfort of choice is the hem of my shirt. Sleeve, bottom hem, collar - he doesn't care as long as he can sneak his little fingers under, run his fingers back and forth, touch my skin or just hold on. 
Tucker has done this since he was pretty small. When I'd give him his bottles with his arm tucked under mine it would only take a few seconds and I'd feel little fingers sneaking their way up the sleeve of my shirt. Now days he does this anytime he gets sleepy or needy. If I'm not holding him he comes and leans his head on my legs and holds the bottom of my shirt. If we're laying or sitting down he prefers my sleeve, but he'll take the collar of my shirt if necessary. Even if I try to avoid it, he persists. It's pretty sweet unless its the middle of the night and he's refusing to go back to sleep or if he has a hang nail. ha.
Today as I was laying down with Tucker for his nap it occurred to me that this is another thing I'll miss someday all too soon and I don't want to forget it. Sweet little fingers finding their comfort in their momma's shirt is pretty precious. I'm so glad I get to do this everyday. I'm reminded not everyone gets to stay home and cuddle with their babies all day. Even on the long days that seem to last forever Tucker reminds me that this is what I was made to do and just how blessed I am to be his Momma. 

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Love those little sweet things that make each kid unique! Riggins has pulled tons of little loops out of his favorite knit blanket, and he likes to twirl them in his fingers to relax.

Erin said...

That is precious. Glad you wrote it down to remember it always. :)