Bring Bennet Home

Thursday, March 24, 2011

The CALL

One year ago today I got up early to help Chris at the golf course with the Sayre Tournament. It was cold and windy. We went to the golf course and after they got started I headed to Elk City for a Wal-Mart and grocery run. I got back into town and as I unloaded the car my phone rang. It was our adoption agency calling to set up our Home Study. I was excited to get that day planned. I got everything put away and then went back to the golf course to see how things were going as the tournament came to a close. I was sitting in a pavilion surrounded by 100-ish high school golfers and their coaches. My phone rang with the DPAS number. I thought Holly had forgotten to tell me something or needed to reschedule or something. I answered as I pushed my way out of the pavilion, but it wasn't Holly it was Dierdra. I struggled to hear her say, "I have someone here who has some really good news for you..." I continued walking further from the crowd as I began to sob because I knew what was coming.
Our Birth Mom, K, got on the phone and told me she was pregnant with a baby boy who was due April 20th and that she had chosen Chris and I to parent him. I couldn't believe it! I couldn't breath or think straight. I fought back through the boys and grabbed Chris so K could tell him the news. He was as shocked as I was. We cried and I eagerly waited for the golf tournament to be over. I remember setting in the car with tears still streaming down my cheeks as I tried to absorb what had just happened. The next three weeks were such a blur... When we got home we call our families. At church we told our students and church family. The next days were filled with registering, painting, showers, cleaning, packing, crying, laughing, shopping and very little sleep. We met K on Saturday, the next Thursday I got to go to a doctors appointment with K, that Friday I went back to Lawton for an ultrasound, the next Thursday I painted the nursery, and the next Thursday we were on our way to go to K's last doctors appointment and got the call that she was in labor. Sixteen hours later our baby boy was born.
March 24th wasn't his birth day, but it will always be such a special day for our family. This year Tucker has a viral infection and has been battling an upset tummy since Tuesday. But as I've cuddled him today I've been overwhelmed with how much difference a year can make. How did I ever live without him? Thank you Lord for March 24th 2010. It's a memory I'll treasure forever.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Tears. What an amazing moment that changed everything. Thanks for writing it out for us to share.

Little S said...

When Tucker is older he will be glad you wrote these memories down so that he knows the absolute joy you and Chris felt on this day in 2010. Thanks for sharing!

Hope he feels better soon. It's no fun to have a sick baby!