Bring Bennet Home

Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Aftermath

Just to update everyone on what we've learned since my last post... The baby was born at 12:48 a.m. on Wednesday, July 13th. It was a baby boy and he weighed just a few ounces and was about four inches long. K left the hospital around 8:30 that morning. She named the baby Michael Ray. They had a memorial service for him Thursday morning, but we didn't attend to protect K. She had him cremated and hasn't shared if the doctor told her any cause for her to have miscarried. K is acting very detached and says she's ok. Thank you for praying for her. Please continue to do so.
My previous blog post was also in our church newsletter last week because I didn't want to have to tell the story 100 times and I didn't want people to continue finding out over a prolonged period of time. This proved to be both good and bad. Most people have been very sweet and supportive. Most of them say something about God's will/timing because they don't really know what to say. I don't either. But it feels hallow when your heart still aches for what could've been. It's still so hard to understand. My imagination has brought me through every possible scenario and reason and hope that exists. And still part of me doesn't feel justified in these feelings because I wasn't really his Momma yet.
This morning our Pastor asked for people to come to the alter and pray for rain. We have had one inch of rain in Sayre, America since November. Our farmers are feeling it. Record numbers of cattle are selling at the local auction (it went for 23 hours last week). As our faithful church family crowed the alter several people prayed for rain, but a few of their prayers pierced my heart about our lost baby.
One man who has been so faithful to pray for Chris and I through the three and a half years of infertility and adoption #1 said, "...God, we know you create and sustain life..." As tears clouded my eyes for the millionth time this week, I realized that for me that is what is the toughest part of infertility and K's miscarriage. I KNOW that God is capable of creating life inside of me, but He is choosing not to. For whatever reason this has been a struggle in our life for over four years now. I also KNOW that He could have sustained Baby #2's life while K carried Him if He wanted to. It's so hard for me to wrap my mind around these truths and still trust that He knows what is best. Why not me? Why not this baby? Why get us involved so early? I keep telling Chris that if you can't get pregnant you definitely shouldn't have to go through a miscarriage. One or the other, but both seems so unfair.
The second thing that was prayed was from our Pastor. He used our "Tucker Verses" and my heart just broke. "To Him who is able to do exceedingly, abundantly more then we can ask, think or imagine to Him be the honor and GLORY forever, and ever AMEN." Eph. 3:20. These were my prayer for our first adoption process and God was so overwhelmingly faithful to this promise. But some how this morning they didn't hold the sweetness they usually do. They made my heart hurt. I know they are true. I've lived their authenticity. Maybe that's why they stung today, because I can't see the fruition of that promise. I'm knee deep in the rough part that will make that promise sweeter. someday.
I don't know if we'll ever know or understand why Tootsie Roll's life was so short or why everything shook down like it did, but we are trying to praise our Father through the valley and trust His goodness and plans for our family. The two sermons today were on love and humility. I pray that through this hardship I grow in love and humility and learn to walk those out better. For Tucker. For Chris. For our future children. But mostly for the glory of my Father.

6 comments:

Chassidy said...

Oh sweet friend...I love how you speak exactlty what is on your heart...I agree it's so hard to put your hands, mind, and heart around why something this sad happened...I don't know the answers either and my heart will continue to ache for you but I have such peace that he has HUGE things planned for your precious family. Your vulnerability is such a ministry for many of us who have gone thru something similar! I love you and really hope we can get together soon!!! Maybe Aug will be the "magic" month for us :)

Heather said...

Kenz, this is so sad. Even though we know we can't always (or even usually) understand His reasons, we still want to. I'm sorry for your hard time but thanks for sharing it. Love ya.

Heather said...

Oh, Kenz, this is so sad. Even though we know we can't always (or even usually) understand His reasons, we still want to. Sorry for your hard time but thanks for sharing. Love ya.

Whitney said...

I had no idea about all of this. I will start praying immediately for God's overwhelming peace in your life... about everything. I can't even imagine what you are going through, but here is a verse I learned to love in hard times... "Endure hardship as discipline... No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it." Heb. 12: 7,11
Let me know if there is anything I can do for you. Love you cuz.

Molly said...

Hey sweet girl. Just now reading this and I am devastated for you. I love how you share so honestly. And it's true. Loss of life is so incredibly hard. It isn't fair. But the amazing thing is that He is still everything He has ever been. And our hope is in Him alone. Having lost babies, I can say that I understand this somewhat, but I know not fully. And having gone on and had more kiddos, I can also say that I would've gone through all of it 100 times over to have each of them. Had those not fallen through, we wouldn't have our Sadie and Emery. And that thought it just devastating. We are praying for you all and so thankful that God is carrying you through this.

Torie said...

I just now read this although I've known about what happened. You have a good way with expressing your feelings through writing. Your words express exactly so many of my feelings right now. That makes me feel a bond with you, b/c so few people understand infertility or loss. You inspire me to be more vulnerable when all I want to do is run & hide. Love your openness & honesty. Know that if you ever want to talk to someone who understands truly how you feel, I am here. What you have gone through is just as devastating as anything I have.