Bring Bennet Home

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

No Zambia

Chris and I were supposed to be in Mapanza, Zambia this week leading a team of nine others from our church. The planning for this trip began almost two years ago. I spent a summer in Zambia when I was in college working at a school and with two missionary couples. My days were landmarks for my walk with Christ. It was the first time I was ever really alone and had to stand without the close support of my family or friends. While the whole experience wasn't fun it was a huge time of growth for me as a believer and as a person. I was going to get to take my mom and my husband and five of our students back with me this time to fall in love with a place that I love deeply.
Last Wednesday I kissed my Tucker good-bye (which was completely excruciating!) and met the team in OKC. We gathered early to eat one last American feast at Chili's. It took a lot longer then we planned so by the time we left the restaurant we were all a little antsy. We arrived at Will Rodger's to get our boarding passes and tickets. Right off the bat stress met us. The airline was insistent that we pay $70 a piece for our second bags when three others had told us we wouldn't have to and as we quickly figured out how to handle this piece of new information things began to continue to unravel. After three hours, lots of rudeness, confusion and hasty decisions our team of eleven sat at the baggage claim as our flight took off. 
Our travel agent or one of the airlines we were flying with messed up. One of the three of them booked seven of us, double booked one of us and left three without tickets. It was crazy and while were at the airport no one would help us or answer our questions. Our travel agent was already closed for the day and so we couldn't get connected with her. The people working the automatic ticket booths were hateful and all but pushed us out of the way without answers. Six of the eight got on the plane and Chris made the decision that we all had to stay together and we pulled them and all of our luggage off of the plane with minutes to go before we were to take off. 
To say we were disappointed would be a huge understatement. But let me brag on my kids of a minute. Not one of them questioned our decisions. Not one of them complained or griped about not getting to go. All of them handled this unexpected set back with grace and patience. We really couldn't of asked for more support or maturity from these kids who can see God's protection from the closed door. 
The next morning Chris got in touch with our travel agent and see worked until early afternoon to get all eleven of us on a plane to Africa. Around 2:00 she called to tell us we were going to Zambia. We all got excited and called family members to tell them the good news. About thirty minutes later she called back and said that she had only confirmed EIGHT seats...AGAIN! We just believe that God closed the door and that He didn't want us to go. Maybe for our protection or someone elses. Maybe for something that was going to happen here. We may never know but it did give my family ten days of being home together without anything planned and after three months of lots of plans it's been really nice. 

No comments: