Bring Bennet Home

Monday, October 8, 2012

My Only Child

We are two weeks away from Bennett's due date. He will be here soon! Really soon! And I'm so excited. I think we're pretty close to being totally ready and I know we are anxious to meet our newest little man, but as the days pass I'm extra aware that these are the last Tucker and I have just the two of us. I'm not really worried about loving another baby as much as I love him, but I'm a little sad to see this chapter in our life come to a close. I love our days together and the things we've learned together. I will never again have just one on one. I'll be double and then triple teamed all too soon!
It's so true how short the years are turning out to be. We've had our fair share of long days and even kind of lonely ones, but they were just ours. Just my baby and me. Two and a half years and this period of life is over.
I have oh-ed and ah-ed over every accomplishment of Tucker's young life as though it was the greatest thing any child in the history of the world had ever done. I have smiled as he learned new things, both physical and mental. I have laughed as his little personality began shining through and when he figured out we were laughing at him he'd do things on purpose. I have cried when he cried and been heart broken over his sicknesses. And soon my undivided attention that he enjoys so much will be spilt.
He will become a big brother and I will become a mother of two. Since we brought Tucker home he has been my main priority. When he was tiny I wouldn't even go to the bathroom without thinking of him. I've eaten only a handful of meals without making sure he was taken care of first. It's what motherhood is at this young stage. And now we will both readjust and figure out a whole new reality.
I have LOVED this time. I've treasured every stage of this journey and often I'm reminded of how Mary "kept things in her heart" throughout Jesus' birth story to ponder later. I can't help but feel the same. It's like I want to take mental snapshots to look back over and remember with fondness as Tucker continues to grow and change.
What a blessing this time with my first baby has been. I'm so thankful for the last two and half years and the things I've learned. I know Tucker will be a great big brother and fall as madly in love with Bennett as I will, but I also really pray his little heart understands sharing his Momma who he's always had near exclusive rights to. I don't want his feelings to be hurt or him to feel left out. Pray for our family of three as we make the transition to a family of four.
TWO MORE WEEKS!!!

1 comment:

Leslie said...

So sweet, Mac. I remember those feelings well...so much excitement and yet that twinge of sadness at the end of a chapter and at the thought of your firstborn processing all of this change. One thing that got me through was remembering that I was giving Riggins the greatest gift I could ever give him: a sibling! Praying for sweet Tuck as he adjusts to being a big brother...I have a feeling he is going to exceed your expectations!