Bring Bennet Home

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Potty Train - Choo Choo!

Last year around this time I started thinking about potty training Tucker. No one loves dirty diapers and at that point he was communicating well enough I thought we could do it. So after the rush of the Holidays, we found a free week last January and prepared for Boot Camp. I read up on all the Pinterest articles I had pinned and got all our supplies together. Not interested would've been an understatement. After four full days of undies and all my patience I threw in the towel and decided to try again a few months later. Our April and our August attempts went much the same way... VERY unsuccessful! 
But one day about a month ago Tucker woke up from his nap and said he wanted to wear undies. I wasn't about to discourage him, but I thought it would last about 30 minutes and we'd be back to put a diaper on. But instead we went to the potty and he peed like he was supposed to! I was shocked. But we kept it up. And since Tucker planned this it wasn't a week we could lock ourselves inside the house to hone his new skill. We had things that had to get done so we braved public in undies. Church. The car seat. Restaurants. All of it, and he did great! A few embarrassing accidents, but luckily it was around women and they understand. It was a miracle! 
Tucker has been doing so well! We are not without accidents all together, but he hasn't had one in five days and it was probably that long before that. He is staying dry through the night and through naps. He has figured out how to tell us when he needs to go, most of the time, and he loves his new Cars undies he got to pick out as a reward. Yay Tuck! I try to make it fun so sometimes we race or march to the bathroom. Or sometimes he gets candy (it's sugar free, but don't tell Tucker). Or other times we dance and sing out way down the hall. Usually when I ask if he needs to go he says, "I'm all done." But he goes nearly every time we try. And I just love his little buns in his under-roos so stinkin' cute! 
For Momma's who wanna know details: I will tell all you Mom's of boys...Get READY! I have never done this with a boy before and so I wasn't sure how to proceed. We sat down first. Tucker has fat legs so we had to undress from the waist down, spread his legs all the way out and sat his rear on the very back of the toilet seat. This was great for a while, but then he figured out he could go standing up and how to shoot it out with lots of force. We adjusted again. Now in public he stands up and I help direct the flow as he pees on toilet paper that he insists goes in the potty first. At home we use a potty seat I found at Target. I LOVE IT!!! It has a high piece between his legs that blocks most of the urine from spilling over the toilet. Highly recommend it. It's called the Wee-Pod and it was only $13. It comes in turquoise, grey and hot pink. Great purchase!!! Trust me. Your bath mats will never be the same with the seats that don't have the pee guard (as I call it.) We bought a little potty but it never really worked well for us. It is crazy how soon boys are aware of their wiener, as we call it. Tuck has to watch his pee come out and I don't know why. It's super weird to me, but it never fails he has to look down as he's going.
I'm so thankful the light has come on for him in this area. Now all I keep saying is please don't revert when the babies come!!! I REALLY don't want to do this again! Good luck Momma's everywhere!

2 comments:

Auburn said...

Yay! We started Jude sitting down too, and now he stands up. I think the standing up is way easier in public restrooms because he's less likely to touch the toilet! I lift the lid and just stand him on the actual toilet when we're in public. It works!

Erin said...

Gooooo Tucker!!!!n And Mama....! ;)